The Launching of a Legend
Construction of the Big E at Newport News Shipbuilding is near completion in 1960, just days away from her maiden voyage.
Archive photo scan courtesy of Joe Munno
The USS Enterprise was launched from Newport News Shipbuilding on September 24th, 1960.
Since then the Big E has returned to Newport News a number of times for retrofits, overhauls and refueling.
Significant USS Enterprise shipyard periods
- 1958: Keel laid at Newport News Shipbuilding, February 4, 1958
- 1960: Launched from Newport News Shipbuilding, September 24, 1960
- 1964: First overhaul and refueling, NNS
- 1970: Overhaul and refueling, NNS
- 1973: Retrofit and alterations, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, WA.
Official designation changed from CVAN-65 to CVN-65 at this time.
- 1979-82: Retrofit including new island, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
- 1990-94: Refueling and Complex Overhaul (RCOH), NNS.
- 1995: Selected Restricted Availability (SRA) upgrades, NNS
- 1997: Selected Restricted Availability (SRA) upgrades, NNS
More Big E photos